25 February 2008

Love

I was sitting in church holding my three week old child, starring into that tiny sweet face and feeling absolutely dotty and smitten. Here was this creature I simply ADORED in ways that I didn't know you could love. A being I had fallen madly in love with simply for her virtue of existing. And then holy lightening struck my mind with a dizzying flash. This is how God sees me. The realization devastated me. I started to cry, flooded with feelings of thanksgiving, awe, and humility. I have never recovered from that moment.

It took me a little more spiritual maturity to realize that this is also how God sees everyone else--including people I don't know, people I don' t like, and people who I don't understand.

Holy God of Love: I praise your limitless and eternal compassion. Thank you for the love that pours from you to give movement to the smallest atoms and the biggest stars. Thank you for patiently teaching me more and more about divine love. Please grow my heart into better and better alignment with yours. Please bust the edges of my tiny compassion. Mold me into a vehicle for your will in the world. Amen.

No comments: